Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Eve

Well, it's finally arrived. Tomorrow is the big day. I don't normally follow politics very closely. In fact, this will be the first time that I've voted in a national election. I know - I should be ashamed of myself.

I have always considered myself to be conservative. While more liberal leaning on social issues, I am an advocate of small government, the right to own a gun, and keeping my money in my pocket. But something’s got to give.

Our country is in bad shape. And I think it has as much to do with crappy business practices on the part of our banks and major corporations as it does with our attitudes as Americans. We've gotten so used to the rest of the world looking up to us that we've completely lost site of why the rest of the world respected us - our integrity and hard work. We've lost it because we've gotten so self-entitled that we feel like everyone owes us. I see this more and more every day with teenagers. I wonder if our parents felt the same way when we were teens - like our generation was a lost cause. It honestly scares the shit out of me.

And do you know what else scares the shit out of me? Sarah Palin. She terrifies me with her gosh-darned winkin' and her "you betchas" and not being smart enough to realize that she was getting pranked by two DJs from Canada. She's arrogant, and she is a threat to women everywhere. I know that it's highly unlikely that Roe v. Wade will be overturned, regardless of who wins the White House - so abortion rights are not my primary concern. The problem is that she is totally unqualified to run the local library, much less the United States of America! John McCain is a great man - but I seriously question his judgment because of his decision to have Palin as his running mate. Either he has picked terrible advisers, or he seriously thinks that female voters will not be able to look past their own uteruses to see that this woman is not a replacement for Hillary Clinton. (By the way, I am NOT a HRC fan at all, but if I had to chose between she and Palin, Hillary would have my undying support.)

So, tomorrow morning, I will be heading to the polls by 5:30 AM to cast my vote for Barack Obama. Then I'm going to drag my tired ass to Starbucks for my free cup of coffee! And tomorrow night, I will be watching the election coverage from my favorite pub as history unfolds.

No comments: